Saturday, 10 March 2012

More musings on dice rolls...

Something strange happened on Wednesday, I rolled a profusion of 6's.  I understand that its all random chance but I got to pondering once again.

I'm a pacifist at heart, which means getting to play a pacifist character in a rpg makes a pleasant change and I normally feel vindicated when my poor dice rolling reflects the violent situations my characters are forced to participate in.

Kieron will probably disagree as once again one of my characters proved to be a badass when it mattered, but the point is throughout Matt's campaign I've been forced to defend myself with lethal weapon after lethal weapon, in complete contrast to the character's basic beliefs.  That was until the final chapter, stripped of our weapons we entered a CIA base and were about to be on the receiving end of a severe beating from several guards armed with batons and tazers when the lights went out.

Kieron took one out with a projectile telephone before succombing to a tazer hit, Wayne another with a screwdriver in the ribs and I tried to smother one in a lab coat by leaping over the table.  I failed, and failed once more when I tried again, but then I fell on the body of the guard that Kieron had rung.  Picking up the tazer I took down the Guard and started the ridiculous procession of 6's.  Armed with tazers, my combat unready character took down several guards (only for Kieron to slot them as he strolled past) before finishing the game with an elaborate flip over a barricade to tazer the big bad she-bitch.

It was, all in all, a novel experience but got me thinking if this was a reason I notice poor dice rolls more.

Take my recent games of Bloodbowl, I've not caused an injury in two games despite beating the armour value at least a quarter of the time, my opponent has had several stunned players and the occasional KO but the elusive SPP's are tantalisingly out of reach and I can't help but think that it's my feeling that are biasing the dice.  So I'm going to try an experiment on Thursday, I'm going to will each and every opposing model into that dead or injured box, maliciously and without mercy and I'm going to see if that makes a difference.

1 comment:

  1. I do think that the human will can effect everything around us even if only a tiny bit. Not strong enough for mind control or crazy Crap like that but its been proven in many studies that positive attitudes bring positive results more often than "normal" and vice versa too.
    Mark is a good example. He is a git and unlike most bb players i know actively enjoys killing opposing players. I've seen him kill and maim more than he should :-/

    ReplyDelete