Sunday, 18 March 2012

Sometimes getting there early just isn't worth it...

Da Proppers concluded their season and probably their careers by losing once again, this time to Battenburg Rising.

I'd gotten to the club early in the hopes of fitting in two games and possibly edging Ichibo Lox into the playoffs and Dan and I quickly got set up.  With a TV 350,000 adrift I was able to hire a merc blitzer to fill in for the deceased E.Runzanall, an extra team training and two bloodweiser babes.

Battenburg Rising won the fame but Da Proppers won the dice off and opted to receive first,  Dan set up and I lined up with a pretty much pre-formed cage on the left of the touchline that would be safe for at least a turn, then came the Kick-off table and Dan rolls Perfect Defence and re-arranges to shaft my plans.  My initial turn sees a couple of zombies stunned and I suddenly remember I'm supposed to be being nasty and willing models into the Dead/Injured box.



Dan takes his turn and one dice blocks a Blitzer towards the sideline and then hits the poor bastard again with a Frenzied Werewolf knocking him into the crowd.  Fortunately it's only a stunned result, so he heads to the reserve box.  My turn and I manage a pushback to create an opening, through which charge E. Frowsitt and the merc Blitzer.  Stupidly I think E.Frowsitt will be safe with this as he's str 4 and Dan needs to get an assist just to get a one dice block.  He moves a werewolf to provide the assist and a Wight to cancel out my assist from the Blitzer, then declares a Blitz with a Ghoul on E.Frowsitt and it's now that I realise I wasn't as safe as I thought.  Ghoul's str3 +1 for the werewolf assist and...+1 from the Wight with Guard means Dan gets a two dice block against me, E.Frowsitt hits the deck and the ball bounces into the hands of the Wight. Dan passes the ball to a Ghoul and heads for the touchline, setting up a loose cage as he does so. Try as I might I can't break free and Dan time-wastes until running the ball in.  End of the first half and it's 0-1.

Second half starts equally bad, Dan manages a hand-off to his Ag 2 Werewolf then Dodges out of a tackle zone with the chuff before speeding down the right flank.  Only E.Frowsitt is in any position to challenge him and pulls off the double Go for it to hit the Werewolf with a two dice block, double pushback! Re-roll, Pushback/Skull.  Shit! Move up anyway to make him have to Dodge and set blocks up everywhere else so he can't get support through.  Dan's turn and he goes straight for the Dodge out.  Didn't even need to use the Dodge re-roll as he rolls a 5 and runs in TD2.

Okay, so Dan rolls Perfect Defence again and once again my drive is interrupted, it ain't long until I lose the ball again.  The Ag3 werewolf manages to Dodge through the still standing Orcs and receives a beautiful pass from a Wight who easily scoops up the ball.


Things are getting desperate (You can tell because I forget to take more photos), I blitz the Werewolf and put him on the floor but the ball bounces away from me and I can only get close enough to put a tackle-zone onto it then throw a few more models in to support. Dan starts a game of push penny with my Orcs but E.Frowsittanall manages to stay on his feet. My turn and E.Frowsittanall is stood next to the ball, unfortunately so are a Werewolf and a Zombie, Screw it thinks I and so attempt a pass action.  I only need a 5 to Dodge into 2 tackle zones and a 5 to pick up the ball, then a 4 to dodge out to an empty square.  In a completely unexpected but typical piece of luck from me I get all of them, a 6, 5, 5 and run up field to attempt a long bomb.  By this point I wasn't expect to get a completion, but just so long as I didn't fumble it the ball was going deep into Dan's half.  No fumble and the ball scatters within 4 squares of the touchline.  Much as he tries Dan can only get one Wight free to get a tacklezone on my Blitzer, it could be enough though.

My penultimate turn and the Dodge is weighing on my mind so I risk a double GFI to get a second Blitzer onto the Wight then declare a Blitz.  It's a double pushback but as I don't follow up I can scoop up the ball as I flee toward the touchline, successfully picked up the ball on a 6 and then dread kicks in as the TD needs a GFI.  Pick up the dice, roll it and it's a two!  I've scored!

A pitch invasion stuns half the field and I don't bother making any rolls as the best I can manage is a one dicer.

Final Score  Battenburg Rising 2 - Da Proppers 1   Casualties 0-0


By the time we had finished Jon and Will were playing each other and I couldn't get another game so actually managed to get home before midnight!


Oh, the plan to will my opponent's models into the dead/injured box kind of came unstuck.  a) I was enjoying myself too much, b) Dan's too nice an opponent and c) every time I put one of Dan's models in the KO or reserves box, he did the same to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment