Skip to main content

Who is school for? The parent?

Over the next few posts I am going to break down the three stakeholders in a little more detail.


The Child is the easiest label to define as it depends entirely on the child's capability and development. From birth through to adolescence the child will progress from wanting their concerns addressing to achieving autonomy and being the primary decision maker.

Over the same period, the Parent (same labelling caveats apply as before) should transition from being the primary decision maker to wanting their concerns addressed.  So who is the Parent?  I've heard an annoyance, a waste of time, over protective, demanding...

The School is the most complex, comprising of Teachers, pastoral staff, support staff...


I'm ditching these openers. I ran out of patience too quickly with this one and could not even complete the thought as it riled me up so much.


The Parent

I am starting here because from experience this has been the hardest position to be in.

Years of experience with other people's kids mean nothing to how you handle your relationships with your own kids, they are the ones who best know your trigger points, but worse, they are the ones who see your vulnerabilities, the you without the social masks.

Your children are on the receiving end of your frustrations, overhear the conversations of your struggles and then ask the questions you really don't want to answer. Then at the point you think you are finally doing a decent job, puberty kicks in and you stop being the decision maker in your child's life, you are the buffer desperately trying to keep them safe as they make increasingly ridiculous decisions.

At the worst possible time in this redeveloping parent child relationship, the school entity shifts from having a single voice (Primary school teacher) into a plethora of voices, a multi-headed hydra with communication and responsibility issues.


To add insult to injury, when my child's school phones I am just another parent to them. 

For me this is especially jarring as I am not being spoken to as a fellow teacher or a potential future colleague, they do not want my professional input because they are the ones making decisions about my child.


Therefore, when the Early Careers Teacher who has been "entrusted" with a form rings and tries to explain how the bullying my child is suffering is not as bad as my child is making out and they believe it would be best for my child if they just... 

It is hard to remain professional, but I respond that I have already spoken to Mrs X and they are fully aware of the situation and are putting an action plan in place, "are they not aware of this?"

The teacher is flustered and responds negatively 


That was a fabrication, my children's schools have actually been fantastic, but how many parents are on the receiving end of such situations and actively ignored? 





Equally where a parent is the primary stakeholder and the child is not of reduced capability, the relationship dynamic will inevitably become toxic and the child and school will end up siding against the parent.


To clarify that:

Within primary education there is a very close network of communication between school, parent and child.  The child is of reduced capacity therefore the parent is the primary stakeholder and the school and child flit between roles as necessary.

The transition to secondary is much harder as no single person can be the primary point of contact, the recipient and mediator of all information pertaining to the child's development that can be clearly expressed to the parent. This means the child is the only person with the power and knowledge to fully manipulate the situation, being teenagers they do and relish in the one-upmanship with overbearing parents.


I am 48 and diagnosed with Inattentive ADHD, I've been manipulated my entire life and learnt all the pattern recognition the hard way, so I now take enjoyment from watching kids pulling the wool over adults eyes. 

It also means that in parental meetings the child's voice is heard first and foremost, granting power is the easiest method of subverting power struggles and also binds the child to the agreements they have consciously made opposed to the kind that are imposed upon them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is school for?

 Let's forget the automatic responses and actually consider the question logically. We have three invested interests involved in a child's education; the school, the parents and the child.  For ease, the label of "parent" here encompasses all primary caregivers and when discussing "school" it is as an entity not it's component parts so appropriate phrases would be: it is school policy to, the decisions we are making are, the school feels, we feel...   You as an individual be may be opposed to actions taken by the school but the expectation will always be to back the decisions of your management.   With the idea that the School entity is the stakeholder not you, answer this quick question:  Which of these Venn diagrams best illustrates the power dynamic within the school, parent and child relationship? Which did you choose?  If it was either of the first two options you might as well stop reading now.  To be clear, any relationship dynamic where the schoo

Musings of an educational nature.

Greetings fellow nerds! Our passions may now have achieved mainstream acceptance, but I refuse to give up a label that so signifies my 80's and 90's trauma. Anyway, the box is reopening but unfortunately for a completely different reason, so feel free to unsubscribe should this pop up on your feed but you are welcome to stay if you find something of interest. As you are no doubt already aware, I finally achieved my degree! I am the proud recipient of a piece of paper authorised by the University of Hull that claims I obtained an upper second class honours degree in Education and Professional Development. Not that I will but I can now add BA(Hons) to my name! I also came to the self-diagnosed opinion that my general weirdness can be attributed to being on the autistic spectrum, who would have thought giving a neurodivergent with well-established masking techniques access to unfettered academic research would produce genuine mental improvements... unsurprisingly I'm fully off

Why crumbling foundation?

I'm not a builder and as far as I'm aware the house is fine, so why crumbling foundations?   Well, too often of late I've found myself mired in the muds of procrastination and have totally failed to achieve a single personal goal in any given week.  That's not to say I've achieved nothing, work and family-wise I'm doing okay but personally, not so well. To this end I'm going to try and post something at least once a week, be it pictures of my latest miniatures project, a short story or even a film/book review.  Let's see how long it lasts. ;-)